*WARNING!*

You are now under the influence of my opinions. Proceed with Caution!

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

My Random Ramblings re: Work

9 Seconds.
That's the amount of time it takes for my opinion of you as a customer to change at work.

Allow me to elaborate.
It's my estimation that about 75% of all customers are now currently using debit and credit cards. This is not really an inconvenience for me, as it takes about 9 seconds to approve a transaction (using change is sometimes even longer, especially when that old lady can't seem to find a penny in her 400 gallon purse), it really only requires the pushing in of the amount on the debit machine, and a manual credit button on my till. So 9 seconds really isn't that much of a delay per customer.

But it's those 9 seconds that my opinion can change of you as a good customer. To understand this, you first need to understand one thing:

As a representative of The Southland Corportation (or 7-Eleven Canada), your purchase belongs to me until you have paid for it. That means,
-> Don't proceed to put things into your pockets
-> Don't open the plastic wrap on your cigarettes
-> Don't eat your food, or open your drink
-> Don't walk away.
You see, that stuff is my responsibility until you hear the beep coming from the debit machine, and I ask you if you want your receipt. If that thing beeps twice, and you are gone, or the product is comprimised, it doesn't make my job very easy. So really, waiting for that extra few seconds to open up your Player's Ultra Light (king size) really makes all the difference in the world.

Now, to address those in the dark ages:
Money is fine. I've been working at 7-Eleven for 2 years now. I'm a pro with it. It's fine if you want to give me exact change, in fact, I don't mind at all.
But if I'm already digging around for that 41 cents, please don't all of the sudden find 50 cents in your wallet, and expect me to put all my change back just so you get 9 cents, instead of 41. Believe me, if I could really react the way I wanted to, that change would be coming out of very unfamiliar places on your body after I was done with you.

So some final tips for customers:
1. Have your money out in advance, especially if your garments have pockets that take a little digging to get at
2. Don't be on your cell phone (I may blog about this someday in the future!!!)
3. Don't say 'maybe' if I ask if you want a bag
4. Don't call the store in advance to ask about products, lottery numbers, or services. Really, we're quite busy, and you are more of a nuisance to us, plus, we will laugh at you.
5. Be polite to us, we are required to do it for you.

Using common sense will make my day much nicer, and then I won't want to quit my job as much (only a little less though).

Have a nice day! Thank you, come again!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Amen Ter! I concur! and Heck Yeah! All these things are true and the sooner people realize it the happier it will make those of us that have to serve you stupid people!

Vicki said...

wow. has anyone ever blogged something more true than this? I think not.

kastrukoff said...

I'd like to think I'm a handy customer. Esp. when it comes to having the money on hand.

Terrin.. I vow to be loyal everytime I came to your til (which is rare) while you are working and follow your strict regulations and rules just to amuse you.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
Tramadol symptom tramdol withdrawal account merchant compare merchant service accounts 3 Vac+hepa+filter+shop+store+buy+order Proactiv solution refining mask new Free trial pair of colored contact lenses account internet merchant asian dating Smithtown appliance