*WARNING!*

You are now under the influence of my opinions. Proceed with Caution!

Monday, April 03, 2006

My Assignments Are Done!!!!

Well guys, it's the last week of classes!
Assignments are finished with, and now I only have to face final exams until that sweet release.... SUMMER!

But enough of all that. Three weeks will come faster than I'm sure I've estimated they will.

Today we had to do our Bible study things for Principles of Teaching class, and I must say, I got a lot out of the presentations that Matt and I gave. I kind of wish some of the classes were more geared to presenting stuff to our classmates, instead of just writing essays. It's good to have discussions and look at the Bible and stuff. Matt did a really cool study on 'innerancy of Scripture, which is what I did my sys theo essay on coincidentally, lol.

I did my presentation study on raising children, based on the shemah in Deuteronomy 6:4-9. It talks about getting the Word into your heart, and then getting it into your kids'.

Becca and I were talking a few weeks ago about giving children bad names, and although it doesn't directly relate to what I talked about today, we both agree that you should have to get some sort of license to have children. It makes sense to me.

If you want to drive, you take a bunch of tests and then a road test to be able to drive. If you want to get married, you spend time dating someone and then you go through marriage counselling, and get all sorts of advice before signing a license. But with children, it's different. Any average Joe out there can have kids (though, Joe Kendrick, I'm not saying this directly to you... you're more than average lol), and do whatever they wish with them, which is very hit and miss. So many kids out there are scarred by their parents' lack of preparation to have kids.

What does it take to raise Godly children? How do you introduce Jesus to them? How do you discipline them? What is the correct philosophy to raise them? Is there a 'right' way and a 'wrong' way? (no rootbeer in a bottle, right Sheldon?) What kind of affect do we want to have on our children? What do we want them to grow up to be? How do we want them to influence the world? So many questions go unanswered. I think that churches should teach classes on raising children... or something. Or pregnancy counselling... I just don't understand why a church would prepare a couple for marriage, but not parenthood.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm baby crazy, or any kind of crazy... (though I may or may not be)...
But shouldn't we think more about this kind of stuff? Girls spend eternities planning their weddings and how their marriages will be (though sometimes we girls get carried away with 'happily ever after' weddings, and don't consider the after-the-wedding part). We spend tonnes of time mulling over our education, pouring money into educating ourselves so that we can get good careers.... They say that it takes as much energy as another full-time job just to be a stay at home mom... shouldn't we have some sort of training in that, too?

Anyway, please comment, as I'm interested in what everyone else's thoughts on the subject are....

I have concluded a few things in all this mess though:
1. I will definitely be preparing myself for how I want to raise kids- Big time.
2. The Bible is full of nuggets of advice... perhaps I should look into how God wants me to raise my future (and far into the future, at that) kids
3. Raising kids isn't just a 'take problems as they come' type of thing- you need to have a mission and goals for your kids and yourself as a parent!
4. There is no such thing as a 'perfect parent'. Every person comes into adulthood with some degree of baggage. The goal is to raise Godly kids! Not perfect ones (guidepost magazine poster children need not apply [i think only rebecca is going to get this])

Anyway, for my final thoughts,

1. I would love to say that even though my parents weren't perfect, I love them greatly, and marvel at how they managed to raise 5 (plus some other people's kids) children to be so independant and Christ-like. I only hope to be as good as them.

2. Leslee and Lynton, I have a lot of respect for how you are raising your children in the church. Keep up the good work!

3. I am glad I don't have any kids yet. THERE IS NO BABY FEVER OR BIOLOGICAL CLOCK TICKING HERE!!!!!! (really... this has only been on my mind because I had to do my final assignment on it).

4. To all my friends who are new parents: my prayers are with you (and not in the scary way... just in the supportive way)

Bye!

11 comments:

Becca said...

Good blog Ter! I agree that some, or any training should be given when it comes to raising children, most people will be trained to go out into the world and witness and people will be trained before they go on a missions trip. So why not be trained to tackle the biggest mission of all? Raising kids!

Leslee said...

Crazy Thoughts...I TOTALLY agree about the parenting classes thing...One thing I NEVER want to be is too proud to ask for help in my parenting endeavors...The best parents are the ones that keep the open mind and open ears to try new things when what they are doing doesn't work!!! AND, it takes TONS of prayer to raise children (and a good church family, kinda like the saying, it takes a village to raise a child) Much more prayer than I have bathed MY kids in...I am sure that when I get my head out of my A@# I will do that!!!

Unknown said...

You don't think we were perfect parents!!!:O

Joking aside, Terrin good blog.

It is good to consider this subject and the responsibility it brings. There are many who do not and I was one of them. I thank God that He interviened in my life, I thank God that He undertook when I made mistakes as a parent, I thank God He protected my little lambs from my heathenistic ways and my journey to become. If not for Him I shudder to think of where we would be. As a parent I have made many, many mistakes and still do and because I am human that will never change, but having a God who is patient and forgiving and who picks you up when you fall, makes it possible to keep going on to try again. Trust me when I tell you that when you become a parent, you will make mistakes too, but it is how you handle the mistakes you make that matters. There is no teacher quite like experience. Some mistakes I handled well, some not, but I know my Father forgives and I know that He can and has taken my mistakes and used them for good. As a parent I know I have had ideals and desires for each of my children, but I have come to understand that nothing that my children do on this earth is more important than what God wants them to be and do. So my advise to anyone who is raising children (or who will in the future(no pressure!)) is to go to God, find out what his plans and purposes are for your child and raise them in that. Oh how I wish I had known this when I fist became a mom.

As for parenting classes - good premise - problem is classes from the wrong source could be disasterous.

Love ya lots,
Momma

unclejames said...

Just give them candy....and lots of it!

Mrs. Ramsey said...

no james, candy is what aunts and uncles givs kids... and then send them home to their parents!

Leslee said...

Oh I CAN'T wait!!!!! HEHEHEHE...

unclejames said...

It makes me feel really good when my nieces or nephews tell me that I am the best Uncle ever.

kastrukoff said...

I still think anyone who names teir child Gertrude should get an award ... of some sort..

Pastor Sheldon said...

You know to a degree I agree with you. Some people are idiots and you really feel sorry for their kids.
But like I look at my parents and although my mom was great, my dad should not have been able to have kids. I'm not gonna get into it too much but If you had to get a parenting license then there is no way he'd get one, and no way that I'd have been born. And I rather like being alive.
I think there are alot of good people out there who had less than capable parents. And also a lot of messed up kids who had great parents.
I am definitely not going to disagree with you that parenting classes are a good idea, but I think forcing people to get some sort of license before they can have kids is slightly fascist or something.

Searching For Truth said...

Yea for Terrin. I saw you today @ church and well I miss you girl... good insights on the children.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Wellbutrin 600mg Pay2play gangbang Mature swallows