*WARNING!*

You are now under the influence of my opinions. Proceed with Caution!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My Day At The Polls

Well, my sister is getting on my case about updates... GEEZ!

On monday, january 23rd, while you were all out voting (at least you SHOULD have been!), I spent my day working as a non-partisan official for elections Canada. That's right, I was a poll clerk all day! It paid ok, and I got along with my partner in crime for the day, Dan, a retired bank worker who is also interested in politics. I made friends with the scrutineers, and listened to old people bitch about the government all day. And I'd do it all over again!

Unfortuantely, I was not allowed to take any pictures of my polling station, but some perks of the day include taking home free stuff that no one wants but me!!!! MWAHAHAHA!

so here are some things I got to take with me at the end of my 14 hour day!!!!




We ended up not having to use this sign, because we were located at a senior's complex, so no voters (or electors as elections canada likes to call them) were coming in from outside. We really only had to put up a public notice. That sure cut down on things to do in the morning (man Terrin, small things amuse you). So naturally, at the end of the night, I swiped the handicapped sign. I'm sure I'll get some good use out of it.




Each Poll is allowed to have scrutineers, also known as candidate's representitives present for the whole day, as well as the vote counting (you actually need 2 witnesses there when you count ballots, so they come in handy!). Anyway, the scrutineers are not allowed to wear party colors, pins or anything suggesting that they are with a party other than these stickers we give them. We only gave out 2 NDP stickers and a Conservative one all day.



The Marijuana Party makes me laugh. (I have two of these up for grabs if anyone is itching for one!)



Here are all the stickers we had left at the end of the day!!!!!



Here's my fancy nametag. I felt all official and stuff. I even had a fancy elections canada ruler so i could stroke people's names off the list!!!



Here is the outdoor elections notice sign that we didn't have to use. So naturally, I took it.

So yeah, there's my day of excitement. I got home close to 10, and stayed up till one scouring the internet for elections coverage, and then watching the clips of the concession speeches, and FINALLY watching Stephen Harper give his victory speech at about 12:30. What a day!

Oh, and if you didn't vote, Jack Bauer will find you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for amusing me and FINALLY updating your blog...If you are reading this comment and you are a link off of my blog and you haven't updated...UPDATE!!!! And if you are here and your blog link isn't on my list...UPDATE!!!! It's fun! And...I have a lot of time on my hands!

Anonymous said...

Nice swag!

I voted. My team won. That's a first for me.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with their mandate!

Anonymous said...

DIBS ON THE MARIJUANA PARTY STICKER!

Anonymous said...

I voted. My partay did quite well this time around..